- the way your hair looks when you first wake up. Poking out, bed head, carelessly askew.
- how you yawn, bleary-eyed and sweet. It’s contagious, did you know? Even to me.
- the way you eat. Somehow you’re always hungry. Your excitement, your expressions, and your great love (still!) for milk.
- the way you sing, lustily and clear, or when you drowsily hum right before you sleep.
- the way you never walk–you’re too energetic for that! You tiptoe, run and hop and jump. And that is only the start!
- the way you fold your hands right before we pray. They’re so small and innocent and I love them just that way.
And I love…
- how much you love to read. You never tire of it, even when it’s been an hour and I am ready to quit!
- how much you love little dogs, bunnies, cats, and armadillos. Anything that’s your size is such a fascination.
- the way you hug me with chubby arms around my neck, or when you throw your whole body at my knees, or when you just give a side peck.
- your wet sloppy kisses, how you don’t know how to kiss. I love that sweet milky breath and I don’t care that I get wet.
- to watch you puzzle out how things work. I love to watch you every day with something new to learn.
- your awe and surprise because the whole world is new. I see God’s creation in a different way, all because of you.
- how much you grow each day, or sometimes, it seems, each hour. I’m not exactly sure where time’s gone; I just know that it’s expired.
Sweet child, I love you oh so much–more than you know. But not more than your Heavenly Father, who I pray you learn to know.
You see, it’s God who gave you to your daddy and to me. Every good thing comes from Him–and you are one of those things!
I pray your faith begins to sprout and blossom, bloom and grow. I pray that hope will ever spring even when you’re feeling low.
I pray so many things for you, my dear, but most importantly, I pray for you to love our God–to know him eternally.