I am a mother of 5 crazy, homeschooling children ages 10 & under, wife to an amazing man, and daughter of the King of the Universe!I enjoy reading, making my kids laugh, cooking, all things natural, learning to play guitar and dusting off my piano skills.One day I hope to run again, but until then I’m learning patience.
- Back to the Basics! - February 24, 2020
- Blessing Others with a Valentine’s Day Heart Attack - February 10, 2020
- Are You Willing to Be Humiliated? - December 9, 2019
Excitement fills the air. Anticipation starts to grow. It’s almost time for Thanksgiving and then Christmas is soon to follow.
For me this is a wonderful time of year filled with family, friends and lots of delicious food! Growing up I remember sneaking into the kitchen to steal deviled eggs for my dad and I. I’m sure my mom knew but she always acted surprised when her eggs went missing.
Sitting down to the table, I couldn’t wait for the mash potatoes and dressing to be piled high onto my plate. Hmmmm! Just thinking about it now has my mouth watering.
Because I had always grown up with delicious, moist dressing, I didn’t realize it could be created any other way. But apparently there is a dry and somewhat tasteless version that floats around out there. My preference is definitely moist and full of flavor!
If you like moist and flavorful dressing but don’t want to spend the hours it can take creating the delicious masterpiece, then you must try this crock pot version. My mom has used it for years upon years and gifted me the recipe she received from a friend. Since great recipes are for sharing, I’m excited to share it with you.
It’s simple and easy. And the best part is that your oven will be available for other delicious creations.
Crock Pot Dressing Recipe
- 8-inch pan cornbread (which is about 4 – 4 1/2 cups)
- 1 pkg stuffing herb mix (about 4 1/2 – 5 cups)
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cans/boxes cream of chicken soup
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 tbs. butter
Homemade Cornbread Recipe
Of course, you can use a packaged mix but homemade cornbread tastes better!
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk – If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, no problem. Simply put 3 tablespoons of vinegar (white or apple cider) into a 2 cup measuring cup, then fill up the cup with milk. (So you use almost 2 cups of milk.)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt (I limit the salt here because the herb stuffing will have some salt as well.)
- 2 cups cornmeal
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes
1st Step – Bake Cornbread, then crumble it up. I have found that using a hand mixer, after initially breaking the cornbread apart, helps make the crumbles finer. Just be careful not to turn the handle wrong or cornbread will go flying!
2nd Step – Lightly grease a large crock pot with butter.
3rd Step – in a large mixing bowl mix all the ingredients well except the butter.
4th Step – Put all the mixture into the crock pot and then place the 2 tablespoons of butter on top of the mixture.
5th Step – Cover and cook on high for 2.5 – 3 hours or on low for 3 -4 hours. Half way through, stir the mixture so it doesn’t stick to the sides and to make sure the stuffing gets heated all the way through.
6th Step – Enjoy!
Now, isn’t that the easiest recipe you have ever seen. May you enjoy more time with your family this Thanksgiving and Christmas season!
What are you most looking forward to this season?