This time of year, it seems like life is even busier than usual. From kids’ school programs to office holiday parties to church activities, it can feel like the family is on the go nonstop! When we spend our time shuttling from one event to the next, the fast-food drive-thru can be a huge temptation, especially when you feel like there’s not enough time to prepare a good home-cooked meal.
Well, I’m here to give you a solution! This family-friendly vegetarian chili is easy on the budget and comes together in minimal time. You can even put it in the crockpot and let it simmer all day long. What could be better than coming home to dinner already waiting for you?
As written, this recipe is vegetarian (even better, it’s actually vegan, if you omit the optional cheese and sour cream toppings). Of course, you can also use vegan versions of the cheese and sour cream if that suits your family’s preferences. Or if you prefer, you can add some browned ground beef. My family likes this chili served with hot buttered cornbread.
No matter which way you serve it, your family is sure to enjoy this vegetarian chili! And you’ll appreciate how quickly dinner can be served when you’re under the time crunch of the holidays.
Quick Vegetarian Chili
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) pinto beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) hominy, drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 medium zucchini, diced (optional)
Additional optional ingredients to top each bowl:
- Sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
In a large pot, combine all ingredients. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until hot all the way through. Remove from heat and add cheese if desired, stirring until melted. Top with sour cream and cilantro as desired.
- Strange Way to Save the World – Michael Crawford - December 12, 2017
- A Psalm of Comfort in the Midst of the Storm - August 27, 2017
- What’s On Your Spiritual Bucket List? - July 13, 2017