I now have a new favorite soup and it happened completely by accident. My dinner was nearly a disaster!
I had prepped all the veggies to make a chicken roast only to realize that I had waited too long to use the chicken…stinky!! Truly stinky!! So I thought I would salvage the rest and make a veggie broth and add a box of orzo for dinner.
Well, it sounded like a good plan until I tasted my creation and realized I had added WAY TOO MUCH PEPPER!
After I posted a “Save Dinner SOS” on Facebook, I headed over to Google to see what others had found.
I’m so thankful I asked my cooking friends for help on Facebook first, because they came back with the answers that saved my dinner and brought about this new favorite soup recipe.
Are you ready for this? The answer to too much pepper is
Lemon and Cream!
In case you’re curious, the recipe, which I’ll call Creamy Vegetable Orzo Soup, is super easy. Cut all the following into bite-size pieces:
- 1 sweet potato or white potato
- 2 onions
- 4 ribs of celery
- 4 carrots
- 6-8 garlic cloves (minced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About 1 Tbsp Herbamare
- Add all this to a large pot and saute everything above in coconut oil for several minutes to your liking. (I typically saute them for 5-8 minutes so they are still a bit crunchy.)
- Add water to almost full and then let simmer for 30 minutes. (The longer the better flavor, but this night, we were hungry and needed to eat soon.)
- Right before you are ready to serve add 2-4 drops of lemon oil or 1/2-1 full lemon juiced and 1 cup cream. (I would recommend starting with a little of each and then add more as desired.)
- Cook the orzo in a separate pot and add it to the big pot when the soup is ready to serve.
This dinner which was almost a debacle really got me thinking about our lives.
We start out with high hopes, but sometimes we get sidetracked by something that was not part of God’s plan for our lives. Maybe we get too focused on money, our looks, or our job titles. Maybe we just leave God out altogether because we like our plan better than His.
Usually, veering off track brings heartache. Sometimes we feel like there is no way God could use us again. We’ve made a mess of our lives that can’t be corrected. That is an outright lie brought to you by the king of lies and destruction.
Don’t believe the lie! Just like my damaged soup, Jesus can take you right where you are and bring about such a new creation that the world will only be able to stand in awe of His handiwork.
We see this story over and over again in the restoration powers of Jesus’ healing hands. Whether it was healing the demon-possessed man who lived in the graveyard or raising Lazarus from the dead, it’s the hope of a resurrected heart and a new life that has Him living at the middle of it instead of ourselves.
Right now, hand over to Jesus whatever horrible thing you think God can’t clean you of. The truth is HE CAN and HE WILL! All you have to do is believe the truth. Jesus came to cleanse you of all your sins–not just a few, but ALL of them! Now, that’s a recipe for hope and eternal life!
Embrace it and savor it.
Be encouraged by these posts as well!
I am a mother of 5 crazy, homeschooling children ages 10 & under, wife to an amazing man, and daughter of the King of the Universe!I enjoy reading, making my kids laugh, cooking, all things natural, learning to play guitar and dusting off my piano skills.One day I hope to run again, but until then I’m learning patience.
Latest posts by Kristi F (see all)
- Take a Tip from St. Nick - December 14, 2018
- Is My Dedication Really to Christ? - December 7, 2018
- Celebrate a Festival that Jesus Celebrated this Christmas Season! - November 30, 2018