Soup, The Ultimate Comfort Food
A couple of years ago I came across this recipe and immediately fell in love with it! It’s the ultimate comfort food, especially on a cold winter day. Another thing I love about it is that it’s two recipes in one. One day you can cook the chicken with your choice of sides and the next day you can use two of the leftover chicken breasts for the soup. The chicken itself is very flavorful and juicy when cooked this way. Then it adds a lot of flavor to the soup. We like to eat the soup with rolls or crackers. I hope you enjoy it!
Baked Lemon-Basil Chicken
5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine (or use chicken broth)
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400*F.
2. Place chicken in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3. Whisk together garlic, wine, lemon rind, and basil; pour over chicken.
4. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
5. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
6. Sprinkle with lemon juice; reserve 2 chicken breasts for Chicken Noodle Soup.
7. Slice remaining chicken, and serve.
Chicken Noodle Soup
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
48-oz carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp each salt and pepper
2 cups whole-wheat egg noodles
2 baked chicken breasts, shredded (from Baked Lemon-Basil Chicken)
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat; add carrots, celery, and onion.
2. Sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender.
3. Add broth, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
4. Add noodles and shredded chicken; boil 8 to 10 minutes or until noodles are done.